Give us a call on

0845 838 7245

help@headwayfirstaidtraining.co.uk

A ten-year-old boy, Louis Edwards, saved his brother’s life with the application of skills he had acquired from a first aid training, through a school trip, few days back, to the hospital.

Louis was in his bedroom, watching a video with his two brothers, eight-year-old Bradley and three-year-old Jake, when Jake swallowed a commemorative coin.

The coin got stuck in Jake’s throat. This created a terrifying moment, as Jake was struggling for breath, a frighted Louis yelled at Bradley to call for their mother.

But when Louis realised that Jake’s face was beginning to turn purple, he knew there was not much time to waste and he could count on his first aid training. So, he put Jake over his knees and gave him four slaps on the back.  Immediately, Jake coughed out the coin (a piece about the size of a fifty pence) just as their parents, Nick and Rachael, dashed into the room.

Yesterday, Louis was praised by his family and school teachers for the smart and brave action.

First aid training saves lives

First aid training saves lives

Mrs. Edwards, 33, recalled: “Bradley was screaming in a hysterical manner, while he came running downstairs, saying that Jake had swallowed something and couldn’t breathe.”

“When we burst into the room, Louis was still hitting Jake’s back, and we could see that Jake’s face was already turning purple.”

“Just as Nick was about to take over from Louis, Jake immediately vomited the coin out.”

“I was almost worn out from grief, but Louis was calm and said it was a good step Jake took to have thrown up at that point, as he was about to give the fifth slap on the back, a first aid technique he had learned back at the hospital.” Rachael concluded.

Mr. Edward, same age as Rachael, added, “We were lucky to have Louis around Jake when the incident happened.”

Apart from the shock Jake experienced, he was completely fine after the ordeal. However, Louis had been to the Countess of Chester Hospital, alongside 50 other pupils from his school, Woodfield Primary, as part of a programme, which teaches on ‘how to ease their fear, whenever they are to receive treatment’.

In the course of their visit to the hospital, they were given life-saving advice, including demonstrations on what to do whenever they see someone choking.

Mrs. Edwards said: “Louis obviously remembered everything he was taught, and I’m so glad about that.”
Diane Kennedy, Louis’ head teacher, said: “We are so proud of Louis for his quick thinking and action.”

First aid training saves lives and here at Headway we believe that everyone should know some basic first-aid skills.
To find out more about our courses give us a call on 0845 838 7245.

Share This